Wednesday, August 09, 2006

More Random Matches:

- Super Parka vs Nicho El Millonario from Gimnasio Nuevo Leon late '04: Hate filled match. I'm still a huge fan of Remo Banda/Volador/Super Parka and am glad to see he doesn't wrestle as old as he looks. He should probably change his name though... I don't wanna boo a Parka.Sad Nicho bleeds right off the bat and since this is a one fall match, the entire first half is just Parka beating on him till the comeback begins. Nicho does a wicked dive over the ref and then a legdrop while Parka hangs on the guardrail. Hell, THE REF EVEN DOES A DIVE! The finish is your usual Monterrey screwiness involving said referee but you have to expect that so I liked the match a lot. Definitely is a good sign since I have lots of singles matches coming up from Gimnasio Nuevo Leon and was wondering if guys mail it in or not.

- Plaza De Toros Monumental De Monterrey on 5/25/03: This is on Fredo's Lucha Libre Azteca Vol. 1. I was dreading the show b/c you had Kato in a match, the Payasos and Muneco's team in another match and a main event that I figured I could call as the match took place but 2/3 turned out to be very surprising. The opener with Kato/Gitano vs Caifan I/Karonte was made okay by Gitano and Caifan obviously. Gitano tried to hit this weird cartwheel ropeflip armdrag but blew it. It looked so promising too.Sad Kato and Karonte spent most of the match on the apron which was good. Average match but I like that since I expected it to be awful. The Muneco/Raton/Pinochio vs Payasos match was pretty much the most insulting lucha match I've seen in a long time. I'd rather have seen Rayo vs Pierroth from this past Sunday at Arena Coliseo. The only cool thing about the match was when I noticed Coco Rojo was bleeding so badly that the entire white part of his mask wasn't visible any more. Main event was the Parka's and Humberto Garza Jr. against Signo, Navarro and Texano's kid. IT WAS ACTUALLY FUN! The Parka's worked really hard in the first two falls and did this unbelievable new spot I've never seen before that I can't even explain but it involves Super Parka hanging upside down in the corner, La Parka going for a slingshot headscissors and Super Parka then using his feet to assist Parka in the move while still hanging there! Lots of comedy as you'd expect. Texano Jr. and Humberto Jr. did a tope suicidas in the third fall but the cameras only caught the start of Texano's and the end of Humberto's. Kinda funny if you think about it. Finish was once again your usual Monterrey screwiness involving multiple refs and low blows.

- Dos Caras/Pantera/Gran Hamada vs Karloff Lagarde Jr./Villano IV/Shu El Guerrero from FULL March '93: This was off a handheld I got from Lynch and was the only good match on the show. They were all working hard in front of a small crowd. I wonder who filmed it b/c he was definitely talking English to whoever he was with and seemed to really be into the action. Pantera looked the best here but I'm biased. He did the old Volador spot where the rudo assists you onto the top rope and you backflip off of it. I love that spot sooooooooooooooooooooooo much. Each tecnico did two dives I think so the rudos were mainly pinballs aside from a short stretch at the end of the second fall. They did a battle royale after the match with everyone on the card but it wasn't like the cool newer battle royales where spots are planned out and/or they do a 15-20 person dive sequence. This was old-school when it's your turn to go out, everyone just jumps on you and then resumes brawling. Came down to Brazo De Plata vs Super Brazo(or maybe it was Brazo De Platino) and Porky did not win. I ordered another handheld from the same tour so maybe that will be a bit better.

Caifanes Rockeros I y II vs El Moro III/Super someone vs Piloto Negro/Piloto Suicida, Gimnasio Nuevo Leon 11/30/03: Someone pimped this to me as a crazy sprint full of highspots so I was pumped but... it really wasn't. Well, it could have been if you just joined it in progress with like 6-7 minutes left. It started as a triangle match with all the teams in the ring and was pretty much the Caifanes just getting beat up on. They get a short comeback when the Piloto's go for dual dives but both Caifanes move and Moro III/Super someone get taken out with Piloto Suicida taking a nasty header on a flip plancha. But the match continues to be just a brawl with the Caifanes get eliminated and then a clip to see the Pilotos getting eliminated. *sarcasm* THANKFULLY *sarcasm* Moro III/Super someone get to stay at ringside and along with a rudo ref, they all team up to destroy the Caifanes until security interferes to drag them away. AND THIS is where I would start copying this match for someone who wanted it. The now blood-soaked Caifanes fight back and try to get pinfalls but the rudo ref refuses to count. Finally the promoter comes to ringside and sends in a new ref to take over. Caifan I tumbles outside... Piloto Suicida runs into the ropes... TOPE SUICIDA INTO A CHAIRSHOT!!! Caifan II is hanging in the tree of woe... Piloto Negro charges but Caifan II pulls himself up and Negro ends up outside... Caifan II into the ropes... SOMERSAULT DIVE BETWEEN THE ROPES... TO NOWHERE!!! Sick sick sick splat landing. Match goes on with some nearfalls before both Caifan I and Negro get double pinned. Suicida and Caifan II then decide the match and after a nearfall or two, both men bloody and tired... Suicida slams Caifan II, goes up top... goes for a moonsault... AND GETS MET WITH TWO FEET STRAIGHT TO HIS HEAD!!! HOLY SHIT! That was fucking cooler than the Mistico/Averno-Astro Boy/Ramstein spot! Reminded me of the first time I saw that spot from a Momentos clip in 2002 where Volador Jr. goes for a moonsault and Sangre Azteca puts both feet up to nail him in the face with Volador taking a perfect bump to make it look like death. Back to the match... it's over, duh.Razz Suicida is DEAD and Caifan II makes him submit. The last 6-7 minutes were absolutely wonderful.

Hasn't been much to say about the rest of the Gimnasio Nuevo Leon stuff I've been watching so far. Lots of half-assed work, especially from the top guys and CMLL imported guys. Pancho Tequila is funny the first time you see him, then you realize he's just a fat guy who can't bump right and brings down any match he is in. The Rayo Tapatios looked good in the one match of theirs I saw. Both Diluvios look as good as I remember. The saving grace is seeing the locals. For example Flecha Azul/Orientales I y II vs Raiden/Caifanes I y II had a bunch of neat spots and was a really fun match. Without the locals these shows would be awful and totally skipable. But there's still lots more footage to go through.

From Arena Coliseo De MTY I saw more of Corazon Sagrado in his Le Parke gimmick. He and The Beast are pretty great. I wonder if they are Americans like the announcer claims or if they are just from some different city in Mexico, grew up working together and came to Monterrey. Black Dragon from this arena is not the IWRG Black Dragon, he's just some fucking awful wrestler who they claim is Kato Kung Lee #1 student as part of his gimmick. Even Kato would take offense to that. He's right up there with Kung Fu Jr. as one of the worst wrestlers I've ever seen. I also got the chance to see Los Teletubbies. They do a Kumbias type deal where there are 4 of them vs 3 rudos. I don't know how they wrestle in those outfits. Not that they do much wrestling... they really looked bad. But I blame the outfits b/c you could put Ultimo Guerrero, La Parka and Silver Black Bronco King Tiger in the same outfits and they'd look like the worst wrestlers in the world. Gato Volador is perhaps one of the finest technical wrestlers I've ever seen since Skayde... problem is he has no charisma and works the exact same match every time. Seriously, he has WWE written all over him. You can call every spot he is going to do before he does it and he shows no emotion doing anything. He'll even walk into position for the next spot and just wait for something like 20 seconds till the rudo is ready to come over and do it with him. Sad b/c he has all the tools to be awesome.

Also saw the first El Hijo Del Santo vs Blue Panther match from UWA in Europe. They go 33 fucking minutes! Santo does 5 dives which ties the all-time record(as far as I know) for dives in one match. Bet nobody will be able to guess who holds that record with him. No seriously, I'd be shocked if someone knew b/c it's someone nobody would expect. Anywho... this match was just an exhibition of everything these guys can do which is... well... fucking awesome!Very Happy They didn't blow their entire load so to speak as I've seen them do many spots they didn't use in this match. Lots of neat matwork and everything you'd expect from these two. Also have to say I loved the crowd as I'm guessing it was most of their first time seeing these guys and they were really respectful and stayed in the match for the entire 33 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home